Friday, June 28, 2013

Sunroom

Before
After


Before
After

Just off the dining room there is a small room that we call the "sunroom".  We determined this would be a nice little office space and toy room for the kids.  When we moved in we didn't have a desk or toy shelf, so we were really beginning from scratch!
My sister-in-law had a shelf she no longer needed and was generous enough to pass it down to me.  It had a broken shelf and I believe it once held shoes.  After a quick repair and some patterned contact paper, it was perfect for Winry's toys!
A gal my husband works with was getting rid of a small black desk, so we got that for free too!  The desk was in decent shape, so I didn't take time to do any work to it.
The sunroom has a lot of windows that let in beautiful light, but at night we needed something to cover the windows.  My grandma had given me some curtains she was no longer using.  There were some nice sheer ones that I could see being good for a sunroom- block the view, let in the light.  The only thing was that they were floor length.  I felt like that might be too much for a small play room.  This problem was easily remedied, though.  I folded the curtains in half, sewed across the top, leaving a space for the curtain rod, and wa-la!
The last item we really needed was a chair for the desk.  Coincidentally, we had just ordered a new dining room table with chairs.  When that arrived we were able to use an old wooden chair from the previous table set.  Dominic and I sanded it down, we painted it (which took a lot of coats because I did not prime it first), and put polyurethane on top.  One giant paint spill later (which we got *mostly* cleaned up) we had ourselves a spunky new chair.

sanding the chair
shelf repair




















All that was left was to actually paint the room!  We didn't really need many supplies for this task.  PaintScrewdriver to open the paint.  Paint pan with roller and paint brushTarp or plastic or a sheet to protect the floor.  Painter's tape (which I didn't even use this time).  A chair to reach the top of the wall. 
I thought the painting would go quickly because it's such a small space, and there are so many windows!  It ended up being a two day project.  I first had to paint all the grooves in the paneling.  I also had to carefully paint around the windows, door, base board, and ceiling.  After that, the walls were a breeze!

supplies
Hard at work.





Let's see the final results one more time! :)






No comments:

Post a Comment